Monday 2 March 2015

History Comes Alive in Israel

...

When I was in Poland, I made friends with an Israeli lady who was also visiting Auschwitz, the concentration camp where so many Jewish people lost their lives. She asked me to visit her native land one day and we continued our friendship by email when I returned back to England.

I was fortunate to have been able to stay with my friend during my visit to Israel or Holy Land as it is also called. Her family were very hospitable and took me to many historic sites in Tel Aviv, Jaffa and Jerusalem.

Some of the highlights of my trip included:
The most famous Islamic shrine in Jerusalem is the Dome of the Rock which is built over a sacred stone. This stone is believed to be the place from which the Prophet Mohammed ascended into heaven.
This is the place of the holiest of Jewish sites for it supported the Second Temple, but it was destroyed by the Romans in 70 C.E. Also known as the Wailing Wall, it is a place where the Jews gather to lament the loss of their temple
Wandering down the Via De La Rosa (The way of the Cross) you encounter shop keepers and vendors selling everything from exotic fruit to bargain treasures. I took time to sit down and drink a cup of mint tea and admire the colourful shops
The biblical figure Jonah departed from this ancient city in his flight from God. It is a city steeped in history
The high salinity of the water makes the sea a dead zone where no animals can flourish and hence the name: Dead Sea. It is highly buoyant so you can stay afloat and even read a book without needing to paddle
Crossing into Palestine, I was able to visit Bethlehem where Christian religions describe as the place of Christ’s birth. The Church of the Nativity is a site where people of many faiths come to pay their respects
A traditional meal celebrated by Jews to exercise their rest from regular labours of everyday life. It offers participants the opportunity to contemplate spiritual practices and spend time with family
A short car ride from the Dead Sea is an isolated rock plateau where Herod the Great built a fortress and a palace for himself between 37 and 31 BC
My friend took me to visit some Ethiopian Jews who had sought refuge in Israel. It was humbling to hear of their struggles to escape Ethiopia and being airlifted to safety by helicopter. They shared with me a simple meal and we danced an Ethiopian dance which was fun to take part in and a perfect end to my Israel trip.


Have you travelled to Israel? What was your best experience there?

5 comments:

  1. Israel would be a beautiful place to visit. With so much history that continues to be made today. Your pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brittany. I wish I could go back again as a week was so short to explore what the country has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Israel is one of those places to visit that has always been on my bucket list. I really just want to go and walk around the markets in Jaffa and Tel Aviv!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Alex. Yes, I think markets are great places to visit, buy mementos and people watch. I never tire of soaking up the atmosphere in these places.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your informative post!!!
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete