Saturday 21 February 2015

Malaysia: Land of Smiles, Shrines and Poison Blow Pipes


Madam Sumi and Family 
Malaysia remains one of my favoured Asian destinations and having travelled there about four times already, I never tire of it. A land as diverse as it's people, a holiday there will certainly add to your adventures.

On my career break I opted for something different and that was to stay in a Homestay program where you stay with local people and experience their way of life. Malaysians are incredibly hospitable people and my host Madam Sumi was no different teaching me her cooking tips and about her extended family.

After waving goodbye to my kind hosts, I decided to visit an indigenous tribe deep in the heart of the rain forest.  Most people travelling to Malaysia don't realize that the Orang Asili  people are the indigenous people of the land. I was keen to visit them and learn more about their culture. They live in the Taman Negara rain forest which is situated in Peninsular Malaysia.

Orang Asili Mother with Child
The Batek tribe whom I visited have beliefs in animism and hunt using poison blow pipes. The poison is derived from some leaves and they put it in their blowpipes and hunt animals such as monkeys. They try to shoot the poison dart so that it hits the monkey's wrist and this makes it fall to the ground. In order to stop the poison from spreading, they immediately cut the hands off the monkeys or other small animals.

I tried my hand at using a blowpipe, but narrowly missed hitting another tourist - oops! The guide told me that I had failed the wife test. Pardon? He told me that when the men are looking for a wife, the potential female candidate has to have accurate hunting powers. Well, I am glad that's one test I failed in my life.

Batu Caves
On my way back to Kuala Lumpur, which is the capital of Malaysia, I stopped off at a very famous Hindu religious shrine called the Batu Caves.

The tourists flock in their thousands to see this famous temple, especially during the festival of Thaipussum. Getting to the caves can be an exercise in itself as you have to climb a lot of steps.

However, there are some entertaining monkeys that are ever watchful of the tourists hoping and waiting for a tasty tidbit. I saw one monkey snatch a bottle of water, dash it open on the ground and drink from it. Who says monkeys are not intelligent.

Whilst in Kuala Lumpur be sure to check out the famous Petronas twin towers. The shopping is fabulous and with eateries from around the globe, it's not hard to imagine why people come back time and time again to visit Malaysia.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing Sheona. I'd love to visit Malaysia one day. I did something similar when I went to Morocco. Although I did not stay with a Moroccan family, I did visit their indigenous people which are called Berbers. Seeing how these people lived so comfortably with pretty much nothing and using only natural resources was an incredible experience. They even taught me about their henna tattoos, natural hair dye and the making of Argan oil. Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erika! I didn't realize that the Berbers used henna tattoos too. I thought it was a south Asian custom so I've learnt something new. Travelling does challenge our perceptions of what "comfortable" means and so often I have been taken back by the generosity of people who have so little. It is a humbling experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an amazing trip! The blowpipe test sounds really interesting, and crazy that eligibility to be a wife is based on hunting skills. I would love to be able to experience something like this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicola. To our western mindset this is very confusing indeed but to that tribe it makes perfect sense. If you have to survive in the jungle you need a team mate who is able to hunt otherwise the tribe will be lost forever. Marriage customs around the world are an interesting study in itself!

    ReplyDelete