Sunday 15 March 2015

Ancient Temples and Floating Communities in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Inside a temple with large tree roots
Whenever someone mentions Siem Reap in Cambodia, people automatically think of the famed Ankor Wat temples. Built between 1150 and 1113 A.D. its one of the largest collection of temples in the world and the name means: 'Temple City."

Although, it was originally built as a shrine to a Hindu god Vishnu, it became a Buddhist temple as time progressed. 

Many people remember Harrison Ford and the film Indian Jones which was filmed on location at Ankor Wat. This setting was also used for the Tomb Raider film starring Angelina Jolie. I was naturally keen to investigate these awe inspiring monuments to the gods and was glad I made my way to see them. 
Ankor Wat Temples, Siem Reap, Cambodia

Ancient trees with long roots wrap around some of the temple ruins making it a surreal experience. It was hard to imagine that these temples which inspired great religious fervour were left to ruin, and were rediscovered by Portuguese missionaries around 1580 A.D. At one time, there were over 1000 temples on site.

Following on from the visit to the temples, one of the other places I visited was the Ton Le Sap river community which can be reached by water taxi. It was an eventful ride as we spotted a water snake in the river and the lady next to me decided to scream her lungs out. I was really glad neither of us landed in the water to keep the snake company!

The floating village was interesting to visit, but it made me sad to learn a few facts:
Child using a floating box to cross the Ton Le Sap River
  • 12 per cent of children die before the age of five
  • Many die due to malnourishment and lack of medical care
  • Annual household income averages $500
  • There is a floating orphanage to house children who have lost parents
  • Many children are exploited for the tourism industry




13 comments:

  1. Well this post made me both happy and sad. It must have been so cool to see such historical monuments. I'm jealous. It's awful to hear about the poor living standards however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ben, The temples were great to see but as you said the people have very low living standards. I was more sad to learn that there are still 6 million unexploded landmines in the country. It's a horrible legacy left from the Khmer Rouge regime which people still suffer from today. There were a lot of children and adults with horrific injuries which was very disturbing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy all your adventures and visits to different countries around the world. However, I do think that in places such as Cambodia I would feel the need to adopt all the children and bring them home - It's always eye opening to see stories of those less fortunate and remember the little things we take for granted daily. Where do you hope to travel to next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen. I did sponsor a little girl from Sri Lanka as I wanted to help. Only wish I can do more. You are right about being grateful for small things. Access to clean running water, sanitation and the chance to walk around without stepping on a landmine. For some people this would be considered paradise. Unfortunately, travel and student life don't blend together in the same sentence. I am going to follow Kenzie's adventures abroad instead.

      Delete
  4. You have been to so many amazing places, Sheona! I liked your Angelina Jolie reference because I used to love the Tomb Raider films when I was younger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Riley. Yes I am embarrassed to say I tried to do all the moves too.

      Delete
  5. Wow! I loved both those movies so thank you for blogging on this exotic location. How lucky you are to have witnessed these ancient wonders in person. I also enjoyed the research you added, bringing awareness to the struggles of this region and its people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee. Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes its good to be reminded that our reality is not someone else's reality. It helps to keep things in perspective and if we can help in a small way then so much the better.

      Delete
  6. It's sad that people living in such a beautiful part of the world also live in such horrible conditions. Really eye opening post Sheona!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I envy your travel experiences and wish I had the opportunity to view parts of the world that you've seen. This post is very eye opening to conditions in parts of the world that are not always talked about. Great read Sheona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Book Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar Cabs Online at cabs2go Car Rentals. Trust cabs2go for the Best
    mumbai to Mahabaleshwar taxi Services.

    ReplyDelete